Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Decision Time

No mystery as to how well or badly I'm doing with this weight-loss endeavor!  If you don't hear from me for days, (weeks or months) chances are I've blown it once again and probably regaining the little weight I lost.  What a futile, endless, hopeless-feeling waste of time and effort.  I'm so sick of my lack of resolve, lack of self-control, lack of momentum, lack of seriousness and determination!  :{  This past couple of weeks I've been half-heartedly trying to eat well and be consistent with exercising.  I'd lost a few pounds, gained that FOUR, lost a couple more and just feel....stymied.  As usual.  


So, remember I mentioned this book last week?  The Complete Beck Diet for Life: The Five-Stage Program for Permanent Weight LossIt came the other day and I've been reading it with great interest.  Listen to this:  "it not only guides you in what to eat and how to eat, but it also helps you change your mindset about dieting.  It leads you to make the psychological changes you need to be satisfied with your food choices, your ultimate weight, and yourself."  and "you will learn a powerful set of psychological tools that will enable you to stick to your healthy eating plan, no matter what.  You will learn how to talk back to your inner saboteur~ These sabotaging thoughts are common to any dieter who's struggled to lose or maintain weight loss."  


If you've followed this blog for any time, you know that I've struggled with allowing my negative thought patterns to become roadblocks to my progress.  I KNOW that I make excuses in my head and justify wrong choices with lies.  It's easy to identify, hard to stop.  It'll be life-changing for me if this new book will help me to change all that and see real & lasting success at last.  




So, here are Stage 1 Success Skills:
1.  Motivate yourself daily.
2.  Weigh yourself daily.
3.  Eat slowly, sitting down.
4.  Give yourself credit.
5.  Get moving.
6.  Overcome hunger, cravings and emotional eating.
7.  Plan and motivate your eating.
8.  Follow your plan, no matter what.
9.  Get back on track-right away.  


I like this too:
Think Thin Initial Eating Plan
1.  You will enjoy real food, not "diet" food.
2.  You won't make any food "off-limits".
3.  You will know what to do when you reach a plateau.
4.  You won't feel hungry as you have on other diets.
5.  You will continue to eat this way for a lifetime.  


This diet requires a solid commitment to follow the plan all the way (what diet doesn't?) and that makes me wonder if I can or will?  It requires calorie-counting; uh oh!  I've been a low-carb dieter for a long time, although we see how far that's gotten me!  :(  It is everything that I've resisted in my dieting; the plan that Sylvia & I created allowed us flexibility and a way to still eat the foods we love best, meats, cheese, dairy, etc.  Yet it didn't change my mindset or thought patterns; I lost weight ultimately, but not without the continual back & forth crap that plagues me now. And I didn't learn life skills to keep the weight off.  Perhaps it's time to truly get serious about losing weight and commit to a sensible, serious plan?  



No comments:

Post a Comment